Whether you are a new business or an exisiting business, there are important local issues to consider. While the needs and circumstances of each business entity differ, the following items are required of most businesses:
- Commercial Tenant Improvement Standards
- Verify that local zoning permits your type of business
- Apply for any required permits and/or licenses
- Understand how to pay sales tax (sign up at AZtaxes.gov)
- Obtain your Business Licenses(s) - $40
- Obtain your Certificate of Occupancy - $100
- Review local signage rules for temporary and permanent signs
- Understand the process to remodel, expand or change your business.
Obtaining a License
To obtain an annual business license, please submit the Business License Application Form and a $40 fee to Town Hall. Once the application is processed, a business license will be issued, and delivered via mail or courier.
ALL businesses must obtain a license prior to opening for business in the Town of Carefree.
Existing businesses must renew their license annually, no later than July 1 of each calendar year.
Types of businesses requiring a Town of Carefree business license:
- Non-exempt entities located in Carefree
- Individuals or businesses renting any number of commercial units
- Short-term or vacation rentals
- Long-term rentals
A business license is NOT required for the following exempt entities:
- Any service-oriented home occupation
- Non-profit 501(c) 3 organizations
- Churches (places of worship)
- Public schools
- Temporary/transient businesses operating with a vendor’s permit
- Agencies of any federal, state or local government entity
- Business License