Before opening your business, there are important local issues to consider. While the needs and circumstances of each business entity differ, the following items affect most businesses:
- Verify that local zoning permits your type of business
- Apply for any required permits and/or licenses
- Understand how to pay sales tax (sign up at AZtaxes.gov)
- Obtain your business licenses(s)
- Review local signage rules for temporary and permanent signs
- Understand the process to remodel, expand or change your business.
Obtaining a License
To obtain an annual business license, please submit the Business License Application Form and a $40 fee to Town Hall. Once the application is processed, a business license will be issued, and delivered via mail or courier.
ALL businesses must obtain a license prior to opening for business in the Town of Carefree.
Existing businesses must renew their license annually, no later than July 1 of each calendar year.
Types of businesses requiring a Town of Carefree business license:
- Non-exempt entities located in Carefree
- Individuals or businesses renting any number of commercial units
- Individuals or businesses renting two (2) or more residential units in Arizona, with at least one (1) unit located in Carefree
- Short-term or vacation rentals
- Long-term rentals
A business license is NOT required for the following exempt entities:
- Any service-oriented home occupation
- Non-profit 501(c) 3 organizations
- Churches (places of worship)
- Public schools
- Temporary/transient businesses operating with a vendor’s permit
- Agencies of any federal, state or local government entity
Code Enforcement Officer
8 Sundial Circle, Carefree, AZ 85377