Cave Creek Memorial Cemetery
The Cave Creek Memorial Cemetery
is located at 36400 North Pima Road, just south of the intersections of East Cave Creek Road and Pima Road, and on the east side of Pima Road.
The cemetery was the vision of longtime area resident Elmer Gillespie, and implemented in May of 1955 by the Cave Creek Improvement Association, with land donated by the U.S. National Forest Service. Mr. Gillespie died in January of 1956, and was honored as the first person buried on the site, which was completed in April of 1956.
It is part of the design for the area to remain in its natural desert state Residents of Cave Creek School District (Number 93) are eligible for interment in this tract.
The cemetery now resides within the borders of the Town of Carefree with its incorporation in 1984, and is under their administration. Many military veterans have been interred here, and are honored each Memorial Day by the American Legion.